Out of the many home remedies for head lice, the Mayonnaise Lice Killing Method is the most popular of all. A lot of people would easily dismiss this as a myth, but the fact remains that mayonnaise contains components that are effective at removing head lice; namely, oil and fat. Its thick texture has the ability to smother head lice till it can no longer breathe, rendering it dead.
If you’ve been given the task to treat someone with head lice using mayonnaise, take the proper precautions.
1. Tie your hair in a bun and wear a disposable shower cap.
2. Wear disposable surgical gloves.
3. Have about 2 cups of mayonnaise (or more) in a disposable container. One way to determine just how much mayo you will need is by assessing the quality and thickness of the infected person’s hair. The thicker the hair, obviously, the more mayo you will need.
4. Prepare saran wrap to wrap around the infected head.
5. Be ready with a lice comb.
6. Line your work area with newspaper or any other sturdy paper that you can throw away afterwards.
7. Make sure that you turn off all electric fans or anything that would make the room windy.
For the actual treatment, here are the things you have to do:
1. Apply a generous amount of mayonnaise all over the infected person’s hair. The amount of mayo to be used here, as mentioned earlier, will depend on the density of the hair. The more hair the person has, the more mayo you will require. Remember that you are trying to suffocate the head lice, and you are not going to effectively do that by not having a huge amount of mayonnaise handy.
2. Tightly cover the infected person’s head with saran wrap. The idea is that it should be tight, so as to properly smother the head lice and block the passage of air. Shower caps are all right, but not often recommended because they do tend to be loose.
3. Leave the hair to soak in mayo for at least a couple of hours or more. Ideally, it would be better to leave the mayo on your hair for longer than 2 hours, just to be sure that there aren’t any survivors.
4. Comb out lice and nits from your hair using a fresh lice comb. Tap the comb on the disposable lining to get rid of the gunk on the teeth every time you run it through the hair. Remove what you can at the first stage. Throw the old lining out and put down another batch of lining.
5. Shampoo hair and rinse thoroughly under high water pressure. Make sure you get rid of every bit of mayonnaise. It is recommended to use an anti-lice shampoo to get the full effect of this home remedy.
6. Comb out lice and nits the second time. Use your gloved fingers to pull out the stubborn ones. Be really thorough. You don’t want to leave any behind.
7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 till you are fully satisfied. It’s better to be sure about these things.
At the end of the treatment, get rid of all the tools you have used, from your shower cap, to your surgical gloves, to your lice comb, to the disposable lining.